Building Surveying Programme Lead
Full time, Swansea, £40k-50k per annum based on experience
25 days A/L, Pension Package
Why Hurley and Davies?
The Quick Pitch
Surveying practices are generally quite stuffy right? Well, that is definitely not us!
In fact, Hurley and Davies is an exciting, dynamic place to work and is rife with opportunities for ambitious, vibrant, career minded surveyors who are looking to fulfil their potential in an inclusive, supportive, and innovative environment. So, if that sounds like you and you are interested in our Building Surveying Programme Lead role, please email email@example.com to organise an informal chat with us.
We understand you might want more information about this exciting role first though, so please read on… we’re sure you’ll be convinced by the end!
Who We Are
Here at Hurley and Davies, we are experts in our field having worked extensively at the forefront of the education, health, commercial and industrial sectors. With hundreds of years’ combined experience covering the complete range of surveying services, we unashamedly believe we are one of the leading and most well-established physical assets management and surveying consultancies in the country. We aren’t arrogant… we just know that we focus on the really important things that many of our competitors often overlook.
How We Work
We Understand Quality
We have an unwavering commitment to professionalism and client satisfaction, and we pride ourselves on being one of the most progressive companies in our field, always striving to be better today than we were yesterday. Sure, that’s a warm and fuzzy statement, but what does is actually mean in practice? In short, we make sure we look after the 3 Ps – our Projects, our Processes, and our People:
- We use an Agile project management methodology that is focussed on maximising success through continuous client collaboration and being able to pivot quickly in response to changing needs and feedback.
- We invest in a continuous improvement program that is focussed on developing the efficiency and effectiveness of our processes and systems.
- We invest in a performance enabling program that is focussed on developing our employees so that they reach their full potential. We do this through a structured career pathway and a meaningful PDR process that puts employee development, recognition, and progression at the very heart of our success.
We are Digital First
We are digital champions and embrace innovative digital solutions that help us provide an outstanding service to our clients. What puts us ahead of our competitors is that we have dedicated inhouse expertise that can turn employee ideas into digital solutions that make our working lives easier! How cool is that? If you think something needs to improve, it can! No more getting frustrated with poor, inefficient processes because “it’s always been like that around here”.
We are Ambitious at Every Level
As well as wanting the best services for our clients and the best rewards for our employees, we have bold plans to expand our business into new areas and geographies. In fact, we’re really excited to be expanding our operations into London over the coming weeks!
We are Resilient by Design
Our progressive approach to business means that we have been exceptionally resilient throughout the pandemic. Prior to the lockdown, we had already integrated Cloud technologies into our IT infrastructure to enable simple and secure remote working, so we were really well prepared when the lockdown occurred. We are incredibly proud of the fact that no jobs were lost, and no pay cuts were made during this extraordinarily challenging period, so if job security is as important to you as it is to us, we’re a really good bet!
Where We Work
We’ve learned that a great working environment is a major contributor to employee satisfaction, so we’ve invested significantly in the modernisation of our Swansea and Caerphilly offices. Where-ever you are based, our environments are well organised and equipped with the latest digital solutions to enable efficient and effective working. Our typical surveyor would have the latest 2-in-1 Microsoft Surface laptop with 2 additional hi-res monitors and access to the full range of surveying equipment.
We have also embraced remote working and each employee has a fully featured Microsoft Office 365 account that allows them to securely manage their workloads from wherever they are.
Why this Role?
Building Surveying Team
By working on our building surveying team, you’ll get incredible opportunities to enhance your professional portfolio through significant exposure to a wide range of sectors, services, clients, and project types. The team works across all sectors throughout England and Wales delivering services in healthcare, higher education, commercial and retail areas. They are truly cross-functional with expertise covering all aspects of building surveying including specification and design, contract administration, acquisition, condition surveys, planned maintenance, party walls, dilapidations, and project management.
The Building Surveying Programme Lead is our most exciting role as it puts you at the heart of project delivery, thought leadership, decision making, financial management and helping others to grow in their career. If impact is what you’re after, you’ll have it abundance with responsibilities for:
- Successfully delivering a proportionate share of the company's projects, commissions, and professional assignments.
- Acting as the key organisational contact for the client and exceeding their expectations through outstanding service delivery, providing continuous status updates and actioning feedback promptly.
- Hand-on project management including issue and risk management, producing flash reports, allocating resources, signing off quality assurance, and managing the financial position of the projects in your programme.
- Playing an instrumental role in writing business proposals, generating repeat business, winning new work, and developing new business opportunities.
- Providing guidance, leadership, and technical expertise to project leads.
- Mentoring and coaching less experienced colleagues.
- Promoting equality and diversity in working practices and maintaining positive working relationships.
- Representing the company in a professional and diligent manner; meeting, negotiating, and corresponding with clients to form strong working relationships in true partnership.
- Promoting a culture of continuous improvement and constructive feedback.
- Presenting a strong, professional presence online through maintaining a blog, posting to Linked-In or contributing your expertise to other such industry recognised fora.
- Collaborating with other service streams, sectors, and wider collaborative consultancies to provide combined and innovative solutions that improve our competitive advantage.
- Keeping abreast of the latest industry trends, issues, and developments in best practice and making recommendations to the company of any associated impacts or opportunities that might arise.
We’re not after Perfection
We know that people are sometimes put off applying for a job if they don’t tick every box, but we realise that the ‘perfect candidate’ doesn’t really exist. So, if you are excited about working with us and think you can do most of what we’ve listed below, please apply. You could be exactly what we’re looking for! We’re ideally looking for someone with as much of the following as possible:
- BSc in Building Surveying or an equivalent construction qualification.
- Member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors or another recognised professional institution.
- Significant experience of providing CDMC Services, and ideally CDMC qualified.
- Significant technical delivery experience gained within a recognised consultancy.
- Wide ranging experience and strong technical skills in the areas of surveys, refurbishments, repairs, and maintenance.
- Strong programme management skills with the ability to prioritise work and resources across a number of concurrent projects.
- Significant experience of successfully delivering complex surveying projects within scope, quality, budget, and deadline constraints.
- Experience of client relationship management and development.
- Strong commercial awareness with access to a well-established network of industry contacts.
- Proven experience of generating business opportunities and winning new work.
- Experience in the preparation of proposals and fee bids.
- Experience of managing and developing a team.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including negotiation and conflict resolution.
- Strong IT skills in AutoCAD, NBS, and the full Microsoft Office suite.
- Holder of a clean driving licence.
- There is a level of mobility required for this role which includes climbing ladders.
Hurley and Davies is an equal opportunity employer, striving for diversity in the workplace. As a Disability Confident Committed Employer, we ensure our recruitment process is inclusive and accessible to disabled people who meet the minimum criteria for the job.