Inspire the next generation of leaders at Harris Academy Sutton
We are looking for a committed and passionate qualified teacher of science to join our growing community and lead our first cohort of GCSE students as they look to progress into an ever-more competitive workplace.
Your role will be:
- To implement and deliver an appropriately broad, balanced, relevant and differentiated curriculum for students.
- To support the subject area as appropriate
- To monitor and support the overall progress and development of students.
- To provide a motivating and structured learning experience, which will provide students with the opportunity to achieve their individual potential.
- To contribute significantly to raising standards of students' attainment as a teacher and form tutor.
We can offer you the opportunity to advance your career within a supportive academy environment. You will be part of a Federation established in developing practitioners and nurturing excellent future leaders, with unrivalled opportunities for progression; whatever your aspirations as a teacher, middle or senior leader, our Teaching School Alliance provides a range of bespoke courses and qualifications, including our Aspiring Leaders NPQML and NPQSL programmes to help you achieve your ambitions.
What we are looking for:
We look for talented individuals who want to be a part of transforming education in London, and helping create exceptional places of learning. A well-qualified specialist holding QTS (or equivalent) and a relevant undergraduate degree, you will have the ability to teach across key stages 3 and 4. You will need to be a creative and flexible team member with presence and authority who is able to deliver consistently good lessons.
As much as the experience that candidates may bring to the role it is the attitude, character and ability to read the context of our growing Academy that will set the best apart.
Please download the job pack for a full job description and person specification.
Why work at Harris Academy Sutton?
- The opportunity to be part of the founding team of an academy with the highest of expectations and ambitions for its staff and students
- Unrivalled potential for personal and professional development as the academy grows
- An innovative, inclusive and happy environment in which to teach and learn, promoting academic achievement across the curriculum and encouraging participation in extra- curricular activities
- All the advantages of a highly successful academy group including strong central support, outstanding CPD opportunities through the Harris Teaching School Alliance, and a generous benefits and rewards package
About Harris Academy Sutton
Harris Academy Sutton opened in September 2018 as a brand new, state-of-the-art 11-18 co-educational academy in the heart of Sutton. With a specialism in Science, the academy collaborates closely with its neighbours on the London Cancer Hub site: the Institute of Cancer Research and the Royal Marsden Hospital. These represent two world-class organisations and together with the new six-form entry academy they form a campus community with research buildings, hospital facilities, and a reputation for excellence in the fields of research and medical provision. The academy offers a broad and balanced curriculum to the young people of Sutton: the Campus itself provides a focal point for talented scientists and clinicians by establishing world class facilities to not only attract top researchers but also to educate the life science workforce of the future. This is a unique opportunity for dynamic, motivated professionals to be part of the team helping to shape what will become the leading science educational establishment in London. It is our aim to provide a fulfilling education to the young boys and girls of Sutton that endures long after the exam results have been published.
We will work hard with the community we serve to ensure that all of our students:
- feel equally secure and valued
- access the challenges necessary to reach their full potential
- move out into the world with a wide range of interests to enrich their lives
- understand the roles that science and scientific thinking can play in human development
- develop the personal character traits that will see them succeed in whatever they seek to do in life
- leave our Academy ready to contribute something new to the world
As an Academy we ask that our students are open to new ideas, demonstrate an understanding of what it means to be true to themselves and always remain hungry for a deeper understanding of the world they will eventually inherit.
This Mission Statement represents a significant challenge. Our work at Harris Academy Sutton is to ensure that all engaged with the Academy meet these aims in order to enable our students to stand toe-to-toe with whatever the 21st century has in store for them.
Our Building and world-class facilities
Our £40 million new building was constructed as part of the proposed London Cancer Hub, a global centre for innovation in cancer research and treatment.
Because of its environmentally friendly credentials, we are all proud and delighted that it is the first secondary school building in the country to meet the Passivhaus energy performance standard. In addition to world-class science accommodation, we have the space and facilities we need to excel in the arts and sport.
Our hall, which is also used as a performing arts space, is larger than the standard normally expected for schools. We also have a high quality Sport England sports hall.
Please download the Job Pack for full details on the job responsibilities and person specification. You will need this when completing your online application.
If you have any questions about this opportunity, please contact us via e-mail, or call to arrange a conversation.
Please note: we may hold interviews as and when applications are received, and this job may be withdrawn without notice. Applications will only be considered if submitted online and before the closing deadline. With this in mind, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible.
Our Benefits Package
In addition to the opportunities for career progression, training and development, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package.
Being a part of the Harris Federation
We are recognised as the top performing large multi-academy trust in England for primary and secondary education. Closing the gap between young people from disadvantaged backgrounds and their peers has always been a core mission of Harris. Holding a reputation for bringing transformative approaches to education, we hold a unrivalled track record in achieving success through rapid school improvement.
Our people are at the heart of this success. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of training programmes available at every stage of your career.
We look for talented individuals who share our vision for creating exceptional places of learning, and are committed to ensuring that every child in London has access to the best possible education.
The Harris Federation and all our academies are committed to ensuring the highest levels of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and we expect all our staff and volunteers to share in this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check, references, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed for all applicants.
Diversity and Equality
We are committed to equality and to valuing diversity as an employer and a provider of education.