HGV Driving Jobs Overview A HGV driving job will allow you to travel all over the UK, and even to other countries, ...
HGV Driving Jobs Overview
A HGV driving job will allow you to travel all over the UK, and even to other countries, delivering goods, whilst giving you varied daily tasks to prevent the job from becoming monotonous. These can include:
- Planning routes to follow
- Filling out forms and record sheets to keep a log of everything
- Driving to deliver goods
- Liaising with your manager and the clients
- Is a very competent driver
- Has an average level of fitness to carry out the daily tasks of loading and unloading
- Is able to focus for long periods of time
- Is polite and courteous
HGV Driving Jobs Education Requirements
A HGV driving position will require a Heavy Goods Vehicle driving licence. To be eligible for this license, you will need to meet the following criteria:
- Be 18 or over
- Have a full UK driving licence
- Speak English well and have a basic knowledge of maths for the theory test
- Have good eyesight and pass the medical examination
HGV Driving Jobs Market
The HGV driving positions market is dominated by a huge 94% of men with only 6% of women participating. There is a shortage of 26% of applicants due to people not possessing the necessary skills to do the work, according to the National Careers Service website. Previous experience in delivery driver jobs can be beneficial for applicants.
HGV Driving Jobs Salary Information
As a HGV driver you can expect to work an average of 42 hours per week and earn upwards of £18,000 per year. This can increase up to £28,000 with experience. With experience and further qualifications, drivers can apply for transport manager jobs, which pay substantially more.