About The Job
Job Title: Accounts Senior
Hours: Full time
Salary: £23,000+ dependent on experience and qualifications
We are looking for an accounts senior to join our team based in the west end of Glasgow. Our firm is a family owned and managed accounting and consulting practice with a specialism in the third sector.
This role will involve the following main areas of work:
1. Direct responsibility for a range of clients’ desktop and cloud based accounting systems and remote bookkeeping from our office (Sage, Xero, QuickBooks, FreeAgent, KashFlow and FreshBooks)
2. Completion of month-end procedures including bank and balance sheet reconciliations, VAT returns etc.
3. Preparation of regular management information including budgets, management accounts, cash flow forecasts and analytical review of accounts for clients’ senior management and board
4. Managing client relationships, meeting deadlines and expectations, and flexibly managing a varied workload each month
5. Assistance with preparation of annual accounts including charity independent examinations and statutory accounts for small companies
6. Preparation of personal and corporation tax computations and returns
You will be allocated your own group of clients across a range of sectors, and will have responsibility for some clients through the whole of their annual ‘life-cycle’, from budgeting to support with bookkeeping, preparation of management accounts and annual statutory accounts.
You will be provided with initial and ongoing training as well as continuous professional development appropriate to the requirements of your qualification. We are seeking a person who has experience working in an accounting practice, managing their own clients and who is AAT qualified or equivalent. Experience of the following software packages will be necessary:
IRIS Accountancy Suite – Accounts Production
IRIS Accountancy Suite – Business Tax
Xero, KashFlow, QuickBooks, FreeAgent, FreshBooks
Cloud based accounting software (especially Sage One /Business Cloud Accounting)
Microsoft Productivity (Excel, Word, etc.)
Google for Business (G Suite)
If you excel in this role and are enthusiastic to progress in your career, we would encourage you to develop by sponsoring you through further professional qualification in accountancy.
The ideal candidate will be someone who works well as part of a small team and has the initiative and motivation required to manage a group of clients with varying deadlines and requirements.
In this job you will experience a broader range of client engagements and responsibilities than would be expected at a larger firm, while being fully supported by senior staff.
About Brett Nicholls Associates
⇒ We are a small family owned and managed professional practice. We provide accounting and consulting services to a wide range of businesses and individuals across Glasgow and Scotland, and our particular specialism is in the third sector. We work with and advise many registered charities, social enterprises and voluntary groups and have built up significant expertise and experience in this sector.
⇒ Our aim is to be professional and friendly - we care about our clients, and take the time to understand what they do and why. Our office is on Ruthven Lane, off Byres Road.
⇒ In 2018 we were awarded Small Accountancy Firm of the Year at the Scottish Accountancy and Finance Awards!
⇒ After a year’s trial we implemented a true four day working week, with the office being closed on Thursdays, and all staff working a 30 hour week with no change to salaries.
Particulars of Employment
Hours of Work 9am – 5pm (Mon, Tue, Wed, Fri – office currentlyclosed on Thursdays)
Hours per Week 37.5 (Full Time contract, 30 hours working time under Four Day Week)
Rate of Pay £23,000+ dependent on experience and qualifications
Pension 5% paid by employer, 3% employee contribution
Holidays 20 days
10 public holidays
30 days total
Required Attributes and Skills
● Communication: the ability to communicate with clients clearly and at an appropriate – and variable – level is essential. Building rapport and understanding your clients will help us do a better job for them
● Attention to detail: people make decisions based on the information we provide them – it must be accurate
● Punctuality and reliability: responding to client communication quickly and efficiently, agreeing deadlines and sticking to them, delivering what we promise – these things will be expected as a minimum
● Problem solving: a strong logical and analytical approach is desirable in this role – whether addressing a challenge in a set of accounts or organising your workload and deadlines
● Ethics and integrity: we must build our clients’ trust through honest, straightforward communication and the highest standards of personal and professional integrity at all times
● Attitude: we will teach you how we provide the technical aspect of our service as accountants and advisors. If you are enthusiastic, resilient and possess a growth mindset, everything else will take care of itself!
To apply, please send a CV and cover letter by email to:
David Nicholls, Partner
0141 334 1318