The Private Equity Group provides market leading services to a number of top-tier and mid-tier private equity houses, including houses with a UK, European and Global focus.
The PE M&A Tax team is embedded within the wider Private Equity Group and provides advisory services across the whole deal spectrum including company/sell-side vendor assist, refinancing and due diligence projects, to buy-side due diligence and structuring.
We help our clients understand historical tax issues and structure transactions, with a continuous focus on maximising value throughout the investment cycle. Working collaboratively across the Globe, our international M&A projects often involve advice on multiple taxes and work streams; including corporate income tax, VAT, employment related securities, transfer taxes/stamp duties and payroll.
We work on some of the most high profile deals in the sector, in what is a fast-paced, challenging and rewarding environment.
Delivering quality service
Individuals will to assist in the delivery of high quality service. They will be able to manage their own time, plan and organise work tasks, monitor progress and meet deadlines. Among other responsibilities the individual will:
- Perform detailed analysis of the tax numbers in the financial statements and other primary documents e.g. tax computations and returns.
- Collaborate with other UK and overseas tax teams to provide input into due diligence and structuring deliverables, critically analysing and challenging their input.
- Demonstrate up-to-date knowledge in respect of developments in the field of UK and international tax e.g BEPS, Corporate Interest Restriction, Anti-Hybrids, FX etc.
- Understand financial models and analyse underlying tax assumptions.
- Read and analyse due diligence reports, highlighting key topics and issues and drafting questions to a Vendor due diligence team.
- Prepare draft reports summarising findings for manager/SM’s review, including the use of visualised outputs (e.g. tables, charts, graphs, timelines etc.).
- Monitor work-in-progress and provide timely reports to senior members of the team to facilitate fee discussions.
Team work, coaching and developing people
Individuals will be key team members on larger, complex assignments as well as smaller transactions in which individuals will work closely with senior members and manage/assist more junior team members. The individual will:
- Coach and manage junior staff members (E-grades), providing constructive feedback when requested and liaising junior staff with senior team members.
- Manage the distribution and allocation of tasks upon discussion with a project manager. Monitor how the tasks are fulfilled.
- Perform initial review of the tasks performed by junior team members and KPMG Global Support function.
- Liaise with other work streams (transaction services, accounting, legal etc.) for effective delivery.
- Regularly provide on-the-job feedback to other team members of the team.
Interaction with counterparties to a transaction
Individuals will be required to build and sustain relationships with clients/potential clients and other counterparties for the benefit of the Firm. The individual will:
- Participate in conference calls and face-to-face meetings with targets’ management, clients and bidders, including assistance with preparing call agendas and Q&A registers, keeping and circulating minutes of the calls/meetings.
- Assist with preparation of the information request lists and subsequent maintenance of their status update. This also includes follow-up of the new information coming in, in particular via Virtual Data Rooms.
- Assist Partners and Directors in market research and preparation of pitch-packs and proposals.
- Attend networking and peer-to-peer knowledge sharing events to build and personal relationships.
Individuals will be required to assist in the identification of and management of risks to ensure the Firm's frameworks are implemented. The individual will:
- Assist with preparation of the project files according to internal Risk Management requirements.
- Assist with engagement and client on-boarding.
- Assisting with project delivery, including drafting of hold-harmless and assumption of responsibility letters.
- Qualified CTA or ACA/CA or equivalent
- Strong interpersonal skills in addition to strong oral and written communication skills
- Ambitious, driven and a keen interest in Private Equity / M&A
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
- Good UK corporate tax knowledge and an awareness of other tax and accounting areas
- High level analytical skills and a commercial approach to resolving issues and providing advice
- Ability to work as part of a team and to show initiative to drive projects forward
- Ability to manage own workload
- Ability to build and sustain client relationships