30+ days ago
Thales people provide armed forces customers with operational advantage at every decisive moment throughout the mission. Defence and armed forces customers rely on us to deliver the full range of defence mission systems solutions at land, sea, and air. Our platforms extend across the battlespace including Above and Sonar, Electronic Combat, and Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance systems.
Together we offer fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career with us. At Thales UK, we research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. We innovate across five major industries; Aerospace, Defence, Ground Transportation, Security and Space. Your health and well-being matters to us and that’s why we offer you the flexibility to do what’s important to you; whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, we support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
Thales Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) UK is a principal supplier of UAS, EW and Radar equipment to the UK armed forces, as well as an exporter of these capabilities world-wide.
ISR are a forward looking business unit that develops cutting edge products such as; Unmanned Air Systems (UAS) which are revolutionising modern warfar, Radars that are capable of detecting foot prints in the grass when someone has walked across a field, Digital Radar Electronic Support Measures (RESM) that provides situational awareness and identify threats even in busy Electronic Transmission Environments and Radar Electronic Countermeasures (RECM) that can protect assets by denying tactical advantage and distracting incoming threats.
We are seeking a hands-on Lead Software Engineer with extensive system and architecture knowledge as well as experience to solve the most complex and difficult software engineering problems.
As a Software Architect, you’ll be working alongside other developers, QA engineers and release teams to drive our EW Vigile D product forward, both in terms of Features and Non-Functional characteristics to meet the growing demands of our customers. You’ll work closely with engineering and delivery leads and be involved in workshops to shape and advise on solutions followed by their design and estimation. You’ll then provide technical guidance as required through the delivery of these designs. To do this effectively, you’ll need to bring your experience to the role, promoting high quality code, good engineering practices and clear documentation. You’ll also be making recommendations on technologies for our products as well as to support the development process itself.
• Provide technical leadership to the design and architecting of solutions
• Design software solutions that meet customer and security requirements
• Document your designs in clear, lean but effective documentation
• Estimate and lead estimation workshops on technical deliveries
• Lead solution workshops with the engineering teams, identifying the solution design together with the technical risks along with their mitigation
• Capture Non-Functional Requirements and ensure solutions are designed to meet them
• Govern the implementation of the design by our Sprint teams
• Participate in Scrum ceremonies where your designs are being implemented
• Review engineering practices to ensure high standards are being followed
• Bring a proactive and positive attitude to all aspects of your work
• Contribute to our continuous improvement process through new standards, templates and even architectural processes
• Understand software performance metrics and use them to deliver high performance, scalable software
• Perform code reviews and mentor where required to raise the quality bar of the team
• Occasionally, dive into the code yourself to identify improvements, technical debt and potential risks
• Maintain technical debt backlogs and ensure that they are continuously progressed
• Provide in depth technical assistance on the software to the application support teams as required
• Keep abreast of and make recommendations on technologies and techniques to use within the team.
What we are looking for
• Experience of designing and building highly performant, robust and applications
• Experience of facilitating workshops and discussions to drive simple solutions and answers to complex problems
• Understanding of software design pattern
• Advanced understanding of practical software architectures and associated security principles
• Solid experience in implementing functionally correct, secure, robust and fault tolerant applications
• Good working knowledge of C, C++, Python at a minimum
• Understanding of automated acceptance testing
• CI/CD pipelines
• Excellent understanding of all aspects of the software development lifecycle
• Experience in Electronic Warfare Domain Knowledge
• Experience of Embedded & Graphical Software
• Experience of Agile software development and associated software engineering practices
• Cloud computing
In line with Thales' Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 80,000 employees in 68 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!