30+ days ago
Experian is looking for a Senior UI Engineer to join the Design System Team to support our advanced enterprise software solutions across the globe. Experian has very powerful, award-winning, sophisticated technologies and has solved important issues in the Decision Analytics, Fraud and Identity Theft spaces for decades. We're adding first-class design to new and existing products through local product designers and the global Design System Team.
About us, but we'll be brief :
The Experian Design System (EDS) is a community-driven resource for designers and engineers that is used to build sophisticated, data-driven, cloud and on-premise software products. EDS simplifies the design and development process by improving efficiency among product teams as they work together to build customer-focused experiences that comply with the Experian brand. EDS is a global resource, created and supported by a multi-disciplinary team in the US, that is part of a global User Experience Practice. We are now looking for a talented and passionate UI Engineer in the UK to join the team and provide a broader global presence. You will be working closely with the US team and connecting regularly with the broader UX Practice, some of which are based at our office in Nottingham. Once this reopens we expect spending some time in the office will be required, along with the potential for some international travel.
We are thrilled to share that Fortune has named Experian one of the 100 Best Companies to Work For. In addition, for the last five years we've been name in the top "100 World's Most Innovative Companies" by Forbes Magazine.
What you'll be doing:
You will be responsible for the ongoing development of the Experian Design System (EDS) under the direction of the EDS Engineering Lead and Design Lead. You'll use industry standards, best practices and experience to implement reusable UI elements for a variety of technical targets. You'll have a strong focus on detail and skillfully balance optimization, performance, functional and aesthetic concerns. You'll work closely with the Lead Designer to provide technical insight and implement designs according to spec. You'll also review contributions to the design system from other engineers (similar to an open source model). You'll provide technical guidance and input for documentation and content creation for the system. This role is highly collaborative, and you'll work with multiple teams on a variety of different products and domains to continually improve and adjust the design system over time.
Additional responsibilities include:
• Implement component designs provided by the Lead Designer using industry standards and framework agnostic technologies (web components)
• Work with the EDS Lead Engineer and Lead Designer to ensure the design system maintains technical integrity as new components and features are introduced
• Regularly contribute to the EDS documentation (good/bad examples, etc.) as we move toward a more "self-service" model
• Establish, maintain and evolve code patterns that scale and can be safely copied and reused by others
• Provide training, support and education to engineering teams including integration with frameworks such as Angular and React
• Track bug fixes, feature requests and community contributions and manage development work with an agile process
• Support the design system's release pipeline and version control
• Maintain the design system's websites and online systems
What do we offer:
• Fantastic learning and career development opportunities in a fast-growth and truly dynamic FTSE Top-20 business.
• Exposure to advanced technology and superb training; Experian has been listed in the worlds Top-100 Most Innovative Companies for 5 years running!
• Extensive benefits including bonus, share options scheme, generous pension and life assurance, 25 days holiday with 8-day buy/sell as well as a huge array of wider benefits and services.
• A positive, collegial, supportive and family focussed culture with well-being at it's core and focus on flexibility and work-life balance.
The base location for this role is Riverleen House, Nottingham with a significant element of remote working.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
It is the policy of Experian to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. All employment practices such as recruitment, selection, promotions, and other terms and conditions of employment are administered in a manner designed to ensure that employees and applicants for employment are not subjected to discrimination on the basis of race, colour, national origin, ancestry, religion, citizenship, age, gender, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, pregnancy, medical condition, genetic information, protected veterans, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
What your background looks like:
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in software development or similar field
• Excellent understanding of programming fundamentals and ability to communicate the tradeoffs, pros and cons of different patterns, strategies and implementations
• Patient and caring enough to explain and simplify challenging technical concepts for audiences with little to no knowledge of coding
• Proficiency with CSS and skilled at recreating static designs efficiently in code
• Comfortable with node.js based build environments and tools
• Works effectively in teams of differing and opposing perspectives, doesn't get emotional over decisions and can defend position with clarity and poise
• Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills; ability to organize and present information on screen and verbally with a team