At SOM, we are a collective committed to shaping a better future for our clients, communities and planet. We aspire to create the most sustainable, impactful work through creative, interdisciplinary teams with all the resources and diversity of a global firm. We value those who are passionate about excellence, innovation, integrity, inclusivity, and collaboration. Together we can achieve great things.
Success at SOM Means
- Ideas: We believe in a meritocracy of ideas. We look to everyone to actively contribute to the discourse in the firm.
- Knowledge: We believe that expertise is the result of lifelong learning. We are not expected to know everything, but rather to passionately pursue answers, develop new skills and deepen our knowledge.
- Product: We strive for excellence in the concept, quality, and delivery of our work.
- Individual: We value individuals who bring the highest standards of professionalism and personal integrity in the way they work. Each person can develop and contribute their wealth of attributes, skills and knowledge to support the overall health of the firm.
- Team: We value the power of interdisciplinary integration. A positive team culture in which everyone collaborates openly towards common goals is essential.
- Firm: We have a history of making transformative contributions to the profession and our communities. We are constantly innovating and attempting to bring new approaches, solutions and processes to our work.
- Leads the Architectural Project Team through close collaboration with SOM Partners project leadership to achieve design, technical and financial success.
- Prepares, with Leadership input, quality agreements with clients including letters of intent, memoranda of understanding, and professional service agreements. Executes additional service agreements and gains authorization by phase.
- Collaborates with Partners and senior team to prepare, issue, and manage compliance plans to align project goals including budget, deliverables and schedule. Gains agreement with the senior team for labor allocation. Chairs weekly team meetings to address variances from the project plan.
- Administers internal control procedures with Project Accountant including billing, collections, percent complete, expense management, and year-end activities. Analyzes project reports and proactively manages the profitability of a project.
- Participates actively in project design and technical discussions and decision making.
- Communicates actively through chairing weekly meetings, issuing meeting minutes and accurate project record keeping and sharing project information and correspondence.
- Manages owner/client relationship and expectations to allow SOM and team to work effectively, efficiently and collaboratively.
- Actively leads new business and marketing efforts including responses to marketing requests and maintenance of firm relationships.
- Initiates, monitors and maintains project schedule and workplan including schedule of meetings and presentations.
- Schedules and leads internal team weekly project meetings; develops the meeting agenda and project status update.
- Initiates, monitors and maintains project plan and financial performance of project.
- Initiates and maintains SOM-Client Services Agreement, SOM Sub-Consultant Agreements and requests for additional services.
- Monitors scope for contract compliance and potential additional services.
- Actively engages in project risk management through close collaboration with SOM Partners and legal group.
- Actively leads a project team.
- Directly trains and mentors team members.
- Directly supervises staff and is committed to direct reports’ professional development.
- Develops and engages in talent strategy to find specialists, leaders, and future professionals for the firm through resume review and interviews.
- Actively engages in internal and external professional development opportunities.
- Develops and/or manages, in collaboration with team members, a clear and consistent work plan to achieve the project budget, deliverables, and schedule.
- Demonstrates leadership in the implementation of sustainable strategies in all project assignments and associated development of staff knowledge.
- Coordinates and supports business development, public relations, and marketing opportunities.
- Contributes to the development of standards, policies, and procedures.
- Protects SOM from financial and legal risk
- Effective at communicating and promoting the work of the firm.
- Professional degree in Architecture
- Licensed Architect
- Evidence of high profile client relationships across mid to large scale projects, from inception to construction.
- Experience of sustainable strategies and principles including familiarity with LEED and other green building rating systems
- Demonstrated ability to successfully lead project teams and manage project schedules, budget and programmes.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Competent in Microsoft Office Suite and appropriate software skills relevant to the role (and willing to develop further ability as required).
No agencies, thank you, only direct applicants will be considered.
SOM offers opportunities to work on transformational projects, competitive salaries, health insurance, wellness, retirement and financial and other work/life plans.
At SOM, we welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace. We believe an inclusive environment benefits our employees, our firm, and our community, while also enriching and challenging our own thinking about design. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Visit this page to learn more about SOM's employment policy and how to apply offline: www.som.com/employment_opportunities_and_policy
For more about SOM: www.som.com