KPMG is looking to consolidate its leading position within the Financial Services Audit sector by appointing talented and enthusiastic auditors into newly-created manager roles. This is a fast growing practise which is expected to grow further significantly in the next 3 to 5 years based on recent audit tender results. The department is made up of a large group of client facing staff delivering a range of audit and advisory engagements across a broad spectrum of clients.
Our Financial Services department in the South West Region delivers a range of audit and advisory engagements across a broad spectrum of clients. These clients include banks, building societies and insurance, leasing & investment management companies. The Department is spread across Bristol and Cardiff therefore, the successful candidates can be based in either location.
Our Bristol office is situated in Queen Square on a short walking distance from Temple Meads Station and is well placed for commuting by car or bicycle. Our staff work over 3 floors and the office has a lively cross-functional social scene. The office has the mix of working with big organisations whilst also maintaining that close-knit office environment. All offices have canteen facilities.
You will manage and deliver pensions audit engagements from planning through to completion. The role will require proficiency in UK GAAP and the Pensions SORP. You will have your own portfolio of clients with responsibility for agreeing audit timetables, working with Trustees and scheme administrators, briefing the audit team, including other specialists, monitoring budgets and supervising the KPMG audit process. This will include:
• To manage a portfolio of pensions audit engagements, overseeing in-charge and audit assistants work ensuring compliance with client, statutory and KPMG requirements, appreciating relevant internal and external market factors, ensuring the effective and timely delivery of high quality audit engagements
• Oversee and direct the budgeting, planning, co-ordination and control of engagements in accordance with client, statutory, KPMG and business requirements to ensure effective service delivery and maximised recoverability
• Providing coaching and guidance to both on- and off-shore staff working on your engagements
• Nurture and seek worthwhile relationships with clients, business departments and staff, for the sharing of information and to identify and progress current and future Audit requirements
• Contributes towards the creation, implementation and delivery of the Audit Business Plan and offer support in relation to issues identified as a result of organisational or client focus change
• Assist the Director in monitoring the effectiveness of Audit services delivered, providing feedback and reflection on the quality of service accordingly
• Preparation of reports to senior management and Trustee boards
• Assist with business development opportunities. This would involve initial meetings, preparing proposal documents and presenting at pitches.
There will be opportunity and encouragement for additional responsibilities outside this day to day role, such as assisting with pensions-specific training courses for in-charges and audit assistants, involvement in local client events and taking on a performance manager role.
• Leadership skills and ability to act as a role model
• Drive and resilience and ability to thrive in a pressured environment whilst working as a team with support from Partner, Directors, Senior Managers (where applicable) and in-charges
• Knowledge and experience of auditing and experience of systems/controls testing as well as substantive auditing including applying this to the pensions sector
• Well-developed supervisory skills e.g. coaching and motivation
• Project management techniques; this role will test and develop your expertise in decision-making, analytical skills, time management, organisation and evaluative skills
• Strong communication and inter-personal skills, both verbal and written
• Proven research skills e.g. information seeking and knowledge sharing, understanding and interpreting information/applying knowledge
• Well-developed understanding of the wider commercial background KPMG operates in demonstrating awareness of the issues facing our clients on a day to day basis
Qualifications and Skills
• Time and exam Qualified Accountant - ACA, ACCA or country equivalent
• Sound working knowledge of UK GAAP and the Pensions SORP
• IT literacy with sound knowledge and experience of Excel/Word
• Recent and significant experience as a Manager in an audit capacity within a top 10 accountancy firm
• Current experience of accounting and financial reporting standards including IFRS and UK standards
• Significant audit experience for pension schemes