Role Title:Legal Commercial Manager
New or Existing Role?New
- This role will assist in the development and implementation specialist commercial support, on behalf of Head of Commercial Management, helping to drive deeper commercial awareness across the function (particularly supporting HBEU/HBUK/HBAP teams)
- Ensuring that the instructions made by the Global Legal function to external suppliers are priced and managed in the most cost effective way, and making full use of the efficiency levers available to Global Legal, but always in line with Global Legal strategic priorities.
- Vendor Engagement: robust understanding of the type of services provided by each of vendor within a particular regions and the types of services required by each lines of business in particular jurisdictions. Assisting in the project management of the vendor engagement through RFI/P processes, including working with internal stakeholders to determine the appropriate vendor for new projects and matters and assist in the negotiation with the legal service providers on fee size and structure.
- Law Firm Relationships: Applying best-in-class approach to law firm relationship management. Setting agendas for the regular relationship review meetings with the key external vendors used by Legal and coordinating with internal lawyers to provide supporting analysis and conduct the meetings. Working with the legal data & analytics capability to coordinate accurate, relevant and regular reporting and KPIs.
- Supplier Performance Management: Ensure internal feedback on the supplier performance is collated from across the function and reported in a way that is easy to understand and drives meaningful action. Overseeing the reporting data quality, as an input to the legal data & analytics capability. Working with the Legal Data & Analytics capability to coordinate regular, meaningful & accurate reporting and KPIs. Must be able to analyse and provide logical conclusions and recommendations based on law firm MI which inform Commercial Management and Global Legal strategies.
- To take the complexity of the regulations on the one hand, and the diversity of business and geographies within both the Group as a whole, and achieve a balance between the demands of the regulators, external bodies and governmental initiatives and the Group’s shareholders and customers.
- Balancing sometimes conflicting requirements of Group, Region and various staff functions such as Risk, Tax, Finance and Legal
- Maintaining a global perspective, but with particular consideration of regional distributions (staff, budgets, resources, operations) and the impact of these; and ensuring a proportionate balance in each region
- Managing a uniform approach to Commercial Management operations, in view of disparate extant operating procedures (within the Bank and within departments), the unique issues, requirements and problems associated with each.
- Engender the support of a number of internal lawyers across the legal Function who may have their own conflicting local pressures
- Compliance with HSBC Global standards, whilst accommodating specific organizational requirements
- Guiding and instructing Global, APAC, HBEU & HBUK Legal colleagues on cost controls.
- Rolling-out global processes which can work for all countries involved.
- The role-holder will be expected to act with a high degree of autonomy and be proactive, managing intense & competing priorities/tight deadlines.
- The nature of the role requires close working contact with senior internal lawyers and across the Global Legal Function as well as senior partners in Law Firms/Alternative Legal Service Providers.
- Need to apply strong judgment and effective communications skills are essential.
- This role will require the individual to assume a proactive, collaborative role across the function and with business partners to ensure the creation and ongoing management of an operationally “excellent” organization.
Observation of InternalControls
- Comply with Global Legal FIM as well as all other Global Business &/or Global Function FIMs relevant to the role.
- Therole-holder will also continually reassess the operational risks associatedwith the role and inherent in the business, taking account of changing economicor market conditions, legal and regulatory requirements, operating proceduresand practices, management restructurings, and the impact of new technology
- Thiswill be achieved by ensuring all actions take account of the likelihood ofoperational risk occurring. Also by addressing any areas of concern inconjunction with line management and/or the appropriate department
Knowledge &Experience / Qualifications
Qualifications / Experience
- Experience working in a large operations/procurement function is essential: legal operations would be even better.
- Experience and good understanding of working with Ebilling software, or similar.
- Comfortable using and analysing capabilities of legal operations management software and other technical solutions which may underpin the provision/delivery of enterprise legal services.
- Ability to distil complex and varied data into information
- Strong written and verbal communication, process analysis and problem solving skills Proven track record in cost management and procurement of high value, complex services.
- Previous background of working in a matrix organization.
- Evidence of formulating creative/innovative solutions to complex global issues/problems and of executing final delivery/project management of those solutions. Proven track record as a starter-finisher.
- Preferable experience: Formal Project Management qualification. E.g. PRINCE2® Project Management and Expertise in change and transformation projects and change management.
We are a diverse workforce and it is part of ourorganizational culture, it reflects our belief that diversity of thought,background and perspective make HSBC a stronger organization. We strive toimplement a culture that is inclusive, diverse, positive andperformance-oriented. Having a diverse workforce allows us to benefit from avariety of perspectives and strengthens our local and globalcompetitiveness. We value diversity in our workforce and encourage allqualified candidates to apply from a variety of perspectives and strengthensour local and global competitiveness. We value diversity in our workforceand encourage all qualified candidates to apply.
As a business operatingin markets all around the world, we believe diversity brings benefits for ourcustomers, our business and our people. This is why HSBC is committed to beingan inclusive employer and encourages applications from all suitably qualifiedapplicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, genderidentity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.
We want everyone to beable to fulfil their potential which is why we provide a range of flexibleworking arrangements and family friendly policies.