Junior Art Director
Healthcare Consultancy Group
Healthcare Consultancy Group is a global leader in medical communications, comprising of seven interconnected agencies with distinct personalities and complementary skills, and supported by the HCG Engagement Group, a 100+ strong team of creative, digital, and innovation experts focused on one thing: engaging healthcare professionals. Our culture generates a thought arena, driving future thinking, collaboration, and communication excellence. We are passionate about providing the reach and resolve required to deliver programs that move hearts and minds. The Engagement Groupâ€™s creative team is a collaborative team of experts, charged with ideating and executing compelling visual stories and experiences that give a voice to science and bring data to life.
About the Role:
The Junior Art Director is an entry-level position who have recently graduated from design or art school or are looking to move from graphic design to art direction. You will be a natural visual thinker and conceptual creative who is eager to learn from senior creatives in order to expand their skills and flourish as the next generation of creatives.
The role requires confidence in developing excellent creative work, sometimes based on nothing more than ideas and words provided by clients or colleagues, and the ability to sell this work to peers and clients. A junior art director will also be expected to participate in and help develop our design offerings. The role is very hands-on and is often busy; time and self-management skills are essential.
As Junior Art Director you are expected to work hard and show initiative in your creative work. You must show a willingness and active drive to be promoted to an Art Director through not just creative output, but an active understanding of the medical communications business. A portfolio showcasing previous art school or university projects, pro-bono work and any other creative undertakings, will give candidates an edge. You will be part of a team that loves to engage with each other and with our agency-wide partners. We expect you to be open to direction and to learn from your manager, senior creatives, and from your peers. We want you to learn to love medical communications as much as we do, and a keen interest in science and medicine will go a long way.
You must be motivated with a flexible and can-do attitude, combined with excellent communication skills. You should show an ability to overcome challenging requirements and demonstrate creativity and innovation in finding ways to execute never-been-done-before ideas. We expect you to keep abreast of the latest creative and digital trends. This role will report to an Associate Creative Director or other senior creative leader, and is expected to be well organized, with an ability to work efficiently with other people.
Skills & Experience
- 1-2 years of experience in graphic design, or higher education focused on design or visual arts
- Interest in science and medicine
- Willingness to learn and grow as a creative professional in an agency setting
- A strong portfolio showcasing their creative skills across varied media â€“especially digital and print. But keep in mind that quality beats quantity; only show us your best work
- Any work demonstrating strong conceptual thinking is a major plus
- Work must demonstrate good design practices with an understanding of colour, balance, composition, and typography
- Familiarity and comfort with Mac platform
- Strong proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (especially Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign) as well as ability to deliver in PowerPoint
- Assist senior creative staff in executing conceptual ideas into production-ready print or digital pieces
- BA or BFA in Graphic Design, Art, or equivalent
- Ability to take direction, and a willingness to learn new things
- Positive thinker and collaborative team member with an ability to work independently
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
With current social distancing restrictions, you must be able to work independently from your home, and maintain consistent contact with their manager, fellow EG members, and their account and scientific team using virtual communication platforms such as Zoom and Teams.
The companies within HCG are Equal Opportunity Employers. All applicants will be considered without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, age, national origin, citizenship status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status or any category or class of person protected by law.