Fibre Solutions Architect
Fibre Solution Architect
Airband is seeking an experienced Fibre Solution Architect (FSA) to join our expanding business.
We are a family owned Internet Service Provider bringing broadband to rural areas through a mixture of technologies. Having secured several £multimillion projects, and with the view of securing more, we need a Fibre Solution Architect on a permanent basis to oversee our fibre rollouts from end to end. You will be working on existing and major new projects as Airband extends its networks in specific geographic regions.
This is a high impact, multi-skilled and varied role reporting in to our newly created Project Management Office. The FSA will be allocated to our Project Managers on a project by project basis and be responsible for ensuring surveying, designing, planning, and building of our fibre networks is achieved successfully within strict time, quality and budget constraints.
The FSA will be engaged on one network build at a time to ensure absolute focus, a smooth end to end delivery and no deviation from plan. The FSA will be the “go to” person for all survey, design, plan and build queries and will ensure that all stakeholders are consulted, agreeable and updated on these key activities.
The role will suit someone who is a fibre deployment expert with strong experience of surveying and a regular on-site presence during the build stage.
The role is expected to provide strong leadership in a matrix environment. Stakeholder management, communication skills, budget management, issue resolution and adherence to process are all key attributes of the FSA.
This is a hands-on role and the ideal candidate will have the ability to engage effectively with internal departments, external suppliers and contractors.
You will drive the network builds forward to meet business requirements while searching for opportunities to gain maximum value for spend. Searching for efficiencies and thinking about innovation.
In Airband’s fast paced environment, a strong work ethic, can-do attitude, agility, flexibility, and creativity is key.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- In summary, this role will provide expert guidance, strong solution architecture oversight and robust delivery management during the detailed survey, design, plan and build stages of our aggressive fibre deployment rollout.
- Scrutinise survey results in detail to ascertain anything preventing a successful network build and customer installation. Provide solutions, not problems.
- The survey results must consider, and factor in, multiple aspects including: deployment method (using existing and/or new infrastructure) and cost, speed and efficiency of build, wayleave and traffic management requirements, design principles and customer connectivity, adherence to business strategy.
- Provide feedback regarding survey results to identify problem areas or improvement opportunities and ensure these are built in.
- Ensure the final survey results are of a consistent quality, agreed, presented in a standard format, and reported back to the Fibre Planning team for inclusion in their plans.
- Work closely with the Fibre Planning team to ensure survey results are clearly understood and without ambiguity.
- Scrutinise the high-level designs (HLD) to ensure they accurately reflect the survey results and provide the basis for an efficient network build. Provide solutions, not problems.
- Validate the design in terms of financial, technical and timeframe feasibility.
- Ensure the HLD is agreed with all stakeholders and meets the requirements of our Projects, Civils, Engineering, Networks, Sales and Marketing Teams.
- Ensure the HLD is frozen at the point of agreement and put under strict Change Control. Changes must be kept to a minimum.
- Work closely with the Fibre Planners and Project Manager to ensure the low-level designs (LLD) and job packs have not deviated from the HLD and provide the necessary detail, in a standard and consistent format, to move through to the Plan stage.
- Arrange and lead a virtual walkthrough of the final design with the Project Manager, Civils Manager, Fibre Planner, Engineering Manager and Commercial Manager to ensure clarity of the build details, roles and responsibilities and timeframes
- Address any questions and stick to the plan. Provide solutions, not problems.
- Create and validate a weekly build plan to provide clear targets and progress reporting benchmarks.
- You will need the ability to see how the detail fits in with the bigger picture and hoe the build contributes to significant project milestones
- Work closely with the Civils and Engineering teams, on site, to ensure adherence to design and plan without deviation.
- Responsible for providing solutions to on site issues, using your experience and professional judgement to keep the build within time and cost constraints.
- Where issues arise that cannot be resolved immediately, report details back to the Project Manager and, in parallel, work with the Civils and Engineering managers to progress other parts of the build or efficiently divert resources to other builds. Lost time must be minimised.
- Provide regular updates to all stakeholders to confirm expected progress or, if an unavoidable delay, revised plans, and timeframes.
- You will have a minimum of 5 years’ experience working on fibre deployment projects. You will be driven by achieving results whilst working in a complex but collaborative environment.
- You bring solutions rather than problems and have good attention to detail whilst understanding the bigger picture.
- A natural multitasker and someone who thrives in a fast moving and energetic environment.
- Professional understanding of fibre network surveying, designing, planning and building,
- Good understanding of Traffic Management requirements.
- Good understanding of Physical Infrastructure Access (PIA) requirements.
- Good understanding of site health and safety.
- Happy to take ownership of issues and drive through to agreeable solutions.
- Ability to produce comprehensive documentation and reports.
- Good level knowledge of Microsoft products (word, excel, powerpoint).
What is in it for you?
- Competitive salary
- 20 days holiday + bank holidays, increasing to 22 days after the first year, and an extra day each year worked (up to 28)
- 5% Airband pension plus minimum 3% employee contribution
- Social events
- Christmas and Summer company events.
- A chance to be involved in Airband’s exciting journey