Engineering & Maintenance Manager
Biffa Waste Services
Changing the way the world thinks about waste.
At Biffa, we love working with waste. Whether we’re turning it into sustainable power, finding new ways to recycle it or simply keeping it off the streets, we believe every day is an opportunity to improve the lives of millions. It’s a view that’s shared by our 7,500+ people around the country, who trust us to provide them with a career that’s always rewarding, often challenging, but never dull.
And it’s why we’re the UK’s No. 1 choice for business waste management.
Help us make a difference as the Engineering and Maintenance Manager at our plastics recycling plant in the north east.
A quick look at the role.
You will assist the senior management team in the day to day running of the operation. To provide technical support and guidance to the Operations and Maintenance teams and to mentor and develop Junior Managers and Engineers. To manage operations and capital expenditure budgets and to be the Senior Manager / Stakeholder for all improvement projects on site. To support the business by managing new installation and plant modification projects. To Manage the Maintenance Manager and their team ensuring process performance is monitored and improvement projects are implemented to eliminate waste and to improve the performance and reliability of equipment and processes.
The Biffa division you’ll be supporting.
Within Resources & Energy we focus on the treatment, recycling and disposal of waste. It provides a number of treatment services for those materials that can be recovered and landfill disposal for those that are not suitable for recycling or energy recover.
Our Polymers business is a leading producer of recycled plastic compounds from its facilities in Redcar and Seaham. Redcar products include HDPE one plastic used in the production of milk bottles and food trays – the first of its kind in the UK. Our Seaham plant is also capable of converting 57,000 tonnes of PET plastic a year. Equivalent to 1.3bn plastic bottles.
Why it’s an opportunity not to be wasted.
• Manage the development and implementation of the sites infrastructure inspections (fixed wiring, pressure vessels, Loler etc.) ensuring the plant complies with current legislation.
• Manage improvement projects delivering savings in line with management expectations by carrying out waste reduction and process improvement projects.
• Set capex budgets and ensure spend is managed, ensuring the projects run to time.
• Assist the regional project team to manage new equipment installation and commissioning projects ensuring documentation and site plans are accurate and up to date.
• Lead, support and motivate the team to deliver against their set targets ensuring the business achieves it’s KPI’s and meets customer requirements.
• Manage contract labour for major projects ensuring the projects are effectively supported and site Health & Safety standards are maintained.
• Manage the process machinery and facilities reliability by analysing data, identifying trends and step changes and initiating improvement activities, modifications, and changes in engineering practises.
• Carry out any other such reasonable job related tasks as the company may require you to undertake from time to time.
Here’s what we require:
Understanding engineering drawings and principles
Management of process and lean improvement projects
Achieving clearly defined KPI’s
Numeracy and ability to understand numerical data
Be able to use AutoCad software
Be able to design and specify new electrical and or mechanical installations
Intermediate Microsoft package IT skills in Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint
And here’s why you’ll love it at Biffa.
• Ongoing career development, training and coaching –
Because if you don’t grow, we don’t grow.
• Generous pension scheme.
• Retail and leisure discounts.
• Holiday and travel discounts.
• Life cover.
Dedicated to diversity.
At Biffa we believe different ideas, perspective and backgrounds are key to developing a creative working environment that delivers real results. It’s why you’ll find us championing diversity and equality at every turn.