Resignation Letter: Writing Tips and Templates
To quit your job properly, you will need to put it in writing. If you have just been offered a new job, then do this sooner rather than later so that you can set a start date. Download the relevant template and simply fill in your personal details to get the ball rolling in the next step of your career. Stick to the following advice on how to use a resignation letter template:
- Keep it short. There is no need to add lengthy explanations; if you need to get something off your chest, albeit in a professional manner, you can do so in a private conversation with your manager.
- Adapt it to your contract. Showing that you have considered the terms in your contract shows that your decision is thought through and it avoids any nasty surprises.
- Keep a professional tone. While you might be on friendly terms with your manager, remember that a resignation is to be dealt with in an appropriate manner. Address your manager formally.
If you don't already know what to include in your letter of resignation, then use one of the templates below. Each is designed to be the ideal tool no matter what sort of job you happen to be resigning from.
Resignation letter templates
- Detailed resignation letter template – This template is suited to people who have been working in their job for a long time and would like to go into detail about their reasons for leaving, perhaps providing feedback.
- Standard resignation letter template – This template gets the job done positively and is suited to organisations which require you to inform both your line manager and Human Resources departments at the same time.
- Formal resignation letter template – This template covers the essentials, but nothing else. It is most suited to people who are unhappy but who do not wish to say anything that might harm getting a good reference.
- Short notice period resignation letter template – This template helps you to request a reduced notice period than your contract allows for. It is useful if you want to start your new job as soon as possible.
- Extended notice resignation letter template – This template helps your employer by offering more notice than your contract requires. It is ideal for people with longer term plans who want to be cooperative with their employer about leaving.
- Retirement resignation letter template – This template is ideal for people who have decided to retire and who are not moving on to another job in their career.
It is usually a good idea to obtain an acknowledgement of receipt for a letter of resignation - whether by hand or by email. This should ensure there are no later disputes about when notice was formally given