10 tips to make working from home work for you
Follow our step-by-step guide how to remain on track while making the most of being out of the office.
1. If you're working from home (WFH), then enjoy the lay-in. There's every chance your total commute will give you a few precious moments in bed. Make the most of them. You deserve it.
2. Once you're up and about, have a good breakfast. Remember, you don't have to rush to catch a train, bus or hop in a car. Fuel yourself until lunchtime so you're not tempted to snack.
3. We know you're not at work but this tip is golden. Make yourself presentable and leave your home - take a short walk to get a coffee/newspaper etc. When you return, imagine you're entering your office. If you want to work like you're in an office then treat your home like one.
4. Draw up a quick list of all the distractions you could be doing if yuo were at home. Like watching TV, playing video games, reading, catching up with friends etc.
Keep this list somewhere you can see it during the day - this is your reward once your work day is over.
5. Get started 30 minutes early and let your team or line manager know that you've begun work for the day. This is two-fold. First, it will demonstrate that WFH benefits you and secondly, it shows a willingness to get things done. Remember, colleagues can't see you so small, recognisable actions will go a long way to keep you in people's minds.
6. It's lunchtime! There's no need to queue up for a sandwich or make small talk with people at your desk. Move away from your laptop, sit down and enjoy whatever you fancy. Put your feet up and relax. It's your break so do what you like with it.
7. Keep yourself hydrated at all times and have something nutritional nearby to maintain your concentration levels. Nuts are great for this but research what works best for you.
8. Have the radio or some music on in the background as you might do at work. If you don't, try something playing in the background so you don't feel like you are alone. Of course, if you have a busy household you might be looking forward to some peace and quiet so make sure everyone around you knows when they can and can't disturb you.
9. Before thinking about ending for the day - communicate with your colleagues. Is there anything else you can do? Is there anything they need? Ensure nothing is left to chance before you log off for the day.
10. And relax. Well, not quite yet. Log out, pack up - whatever you need to do to finish for the day. Leave no trace of work that will tempt you to return. Now take a deep breath, remember that list from point 4? Go ahead, you've earned it.