Translator Job Description Sample
This translator sample job description can be used to help you create a job advert that will attract candidates who are qualified for the job. Feel free to revise this job description to meet your specific job duties and job requirements.
Job Title: Translator
Translator Job Purpose
Interprets written or spoken material into one or more other languages, ensures meaning and context are maintained, creates glossaries or term dictionaries, possesses knowledge of multiple languages, works with individual clients and corporations.
Translator Job Duties
- Reads through or listens to material in one language, ascertains understanding of the meaning and context of that material, and converts it into a second language, making sure to preserve the original meaning
- Translates online, video, and television media by providing subtitles
- Consults with subject matter experts and other colleagues in order to understand specialised concepts and translate them appropriately
- Refers to online translation tools for additional assistance with translation
- Provides clients with quotes based on project length and level of complexity
- Follows up with clients to ensure satisfaction and understanding
- Uses highly specialised translation software to encourage efficiency and consistency
- Adheres to industry quality standards established by the Association of Translation Companies to ensure that all completed work follows legal and ethical obligations
- Translates a variety of documents including literary, legal, research, technical, scientific, educational, and commercial materials
- May specialise in a particular industry in which he or she has relevant experience or knowledge, such as medicine, the arts, business, or finance
- Works on a freelance basis or pursues employment with an educational, commercial, or government organisation
Translator Skills and Qualifications
Bachelor’s Degree, Fluency in at Least Two Languages, Written and Verbal Communication, Understanding of Grammar, Knowledge of Specific Subjects, Interpersonal Communication, Accuracy, Attention to Detail, Software Proficiency, Motivation, Ability to Meet Deadlines, Ability to Work Under Pressure
Turn Your Translator Job Description Into a Job Offer
A detailed job description that’s tailored to your position ensures that nothing gets lost in translation with your applicants. And with Monster as your partner, we can get your advertisement to the right candidates at the right time. Find out how to get started with a free job advertisement today.