Cashier Job Description Sample
This Cashier sample job description can be used to help you create a job advert that will attract candidates who are qualified for the job. Feel free to revise this job description to meet your specific job duties and job requirements.
Job Title: Cashier
Cashier Job Purpose:
Rings up customers and helps them pay for their store purchases. Helps customers find desired items within the shop.
Cashier Job Duties:
- Performs monetary transactions using a cash register or computerized payment system
- Accepts cash and counts out the correct change
- Scans credit cards
- Checks to make sure all cash tendered is not counterfeit
- Counts the till at the end of the shift to make sure the amount tendered is correct
- Troubleshoots the possible causes of an incorrect till count
- Reports an incorrect till count using the proper paperwork or computer process
- Tells customers about special offers and featured items
- Assists customers with finding items and having a desirable checkout experience
- Has a general knowledge of product pricing and place in the shop
- Scans coupons
- Directs customer inquiries to other staff if unable to answer them satisfactorily
- Issues receipts to customers for their purchases
- Bags cash for transfer to a vault or bank
- Wears a uniform or dresses in proper business attire
- Scans products or enters necessary codes if a scan isn't possible
- Bags products, trying not to make bags too heavy or crush fragile products
- Helps customers carry heavy merchandise and load it into their vehicles
- Issues refunds for returned items
- Accepts alternative forms of currency such as cheques, traveller's cheques, etc.
- Answers calls to the store and directing them as needed
- Checks pricing on products that have missing or damaged labels
Cashier Skills and Qualifications:
Attention to Detail, Trust, Calculation, Communication, Positive Attitude, Customer Interaction, Product Knowledge, Friendliness, Promotion, Following Instructions, Helpfulness
Job Seekers: Search for Cashier Jobs and apply on Monster now.