Accounts Payable Job Description Sample
This Accounts Payable sample job description can be used to help you create a job advert that will attract candidates who are qualified for the job. Feel free to revise this job description to meet your specific job duties and job requirements.
Job Title: Accounts Payable
Accounts Payable Job Purpose:
Accounts Payable is the department that handles company costs and expenses. Professionals who work in this business function are responsible for keeping business operations funded. They receive invoices from company suppliers and other cost of goods sources and account for them individually. Invoices are put against project revenues to gauge successfulness, against department incomes to measure performance, and against company sales to determine profitability. Acts as gatekeeper between revenues received and what revenues actually go out. Accuracy is critical, as is the ability to gauge discrepancies and evaluate opportunities for lowering costs.
Accounts Payable Job Duties:
- Accept invoices from suppliers and apply those sums to cost accounting
- Establish payment cycles, taking advantage of preferable terms when applicable
- Send invoices to manager or department head for approval
- Remit payments, retaining receipts of transactions
- Reconcile transactions and correct any discrepancies
- Assess invoices comparable to project, department, and company forecasts
- Evaluate performance and make suggestions to cut costs
- Manage and maintain payroll and employee incentives
- Negotiate service and payment terms
- Develop relationships with suppliers
- Find ways to improve payment systems
- Audit accounts payable operations to make sure invoices and receipts are properly coded
Accounts Payable Skills and Qualifications:
Knowledge of accounts payable principles, Experience in accounts payable operations, Understanding of basic bookkeeping, Financial management knowledge, Detail-oriented, Mathematical mindset, Understanding of accounting categories, Knowledge of accounting systems and classes, Experience working with payroll software as well as bookkeeping software, Establish polices and procedures to maximise company's financial strengths, Bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting, or Business Administration preferred.
Job Seekers: Search for Accounts Payable Jobs and apply on Monster now.