Why would I want to work for a large energy company?
Energy companies form the bedrock of our society. Providing the basics in power can be exciting and provide a varied range of jobs, from working on the rigs to the support services work.
What is the Energy Sector?
The energy sector is the total of all of the industries involved in the production and sale of energy. Modern society consumes large amounts of fuel and the energy industry is a crucial part of the country's infrastructure. A large company is defined as having more than 1000 employees and can be international.
In particular, the energy industry comprises of:
- Petroleum industry
- Gas industry, including natural gas extraction as well as distribution and sales
- Electrical power industry, including generation, distribution and sales
- Coal industry
- Nuclear power industry
- Renewable energy industry, comprising of alternative energy and sustainable energy companies
- Supplying and looking after the appliances that use fuel
- A plethora of jobs around the support functions to ensure the continuing success of the industry
So why work for a large international energy company?
- Large energy companies provide an opportunity for keen focused individuals to progress and develop their skills
- They provide career paths that start with training and become a qualified role through a progression scheme
- There is an opportunity to change disciplines later on in your career
- Prestigious graduate schemes are sought after and can lead to a fruitful and enjoyable career
- International opportunities are offered to employees with differing skills
- Excellent remuneration packages for employees with good working conditions at all levels
- Large energy companies are often at the cutting edge of developments and this is often recognised in award winning
So what skills and qualities do large organisations look for in individuals?
The general skills that companies look for in a prospective employee are individuals who:
- Have passion and who are driven and have a ‘can do’ attitude
- Are flexible and open to changing environments
- Provide excellent customer services to internal and external customers
- Who are successful at stakeholder management
Prospective employees may need to have acquired skills or qualifications dependent on the career they are looking for. The prospective employee needs to understand the organisation's goals and core visions and values. For example, at British Gas, vision and values include:
- Pride in the role
- Viewing problems from the customer's perspective
- Ability to deliver on promises
- Working as a unit
Prospective employees need to understand and see the part that they will play in the success of the organisation.
Range of roles
There are many disciplines offered, which include,
- Finance – Looking after all aspects of finance, including accounting
- IT – Developing and implementing innovative information systems for staff and customers, including software development, hardware, testing, quality and help desk support
- Human Resources – All areas of Human resources from recruitment to generalist HR roles
- Production – Involved in all the aspects of energy production from rigs to power stations
- Servicing – Looking after energy and energy appliances and associated products, by servicing and undertaking breakdown work in premises
- Procurement – Undertaking the buying and supplying of goods and services for the business
- Customer Service – Providing support to customers, usually via the telephone in call centres
- Marketing – Designing and implementing the marketing strategy across the business
- Sales – A fast moving area covering sales of energy and energy related products to customers either over the phone or face to face
There is a vast and exciting array of careers in the energy sector, which can suit equally varied individuals. These roles can be based all over the UK in offices or based in a local area travelling from home to home or site to site.
British Gas is a British-owned company. As part of the Centrica Group, they provide gas, electricity and home repair services to millions of customers in Scotland, Wales and England. For further details and a full range of offers available visit www.jobs.centrica.com